spoon

Shrimp Scampi-ish

Category:

Ok I know I said I love food. But I must first admit. I HATE seafood. I can't stand the smell and I don't like the texture. That said, my husband (and my younger sister who lives with us) happen to love seafood.  My husband has a serious love for Whole Foods, and we spend a small fortune every time I let him grocery shop there b/c he buys so much seafood. But I don't blame him- it's all organic, fresh, and who doesn't love that! So after opening my freezer to massive amounts of seafood I decided to try my best to make the shrimp we had bought a few weeks ago. Here's my BIG disclaimer. I have NO idea how to cook seafood, so I looked up a recipe on how to make shrimp scampi and found one that looked easy enough and did what I always do: tweaked it. So take this recipe with a grain of salt. If it's not your favorite, I won't take it to heart.



1lb of shrimp peeled and deveined (about 12)
EVOO
7 cloves of garlic (we happen to LOVE garlic, but if you don't just use 3 or 4)
2 lemons
handful of pasta of your choice (I had a little of both linguine & angel hair so I just mixed them)

a pinch of red pepper flakes

garlic salt & pepper I just sprinkled on top of the shrimp (see the pic for a better idea, I don't usually use measuring spoons for spices, usually eye-ball it)
handful of sugar snap peas

Boil water with a dash of EVOO and pinch of salt- when it's ready add your pasta

In a skillet pour 2 tablespoons of EVOO, 3 or 4 garlic cloves chopped, and a pinch or two of red pepper flakes on medium to low heat and saute for about a minute CAREFUL to NOT let the garlic burn/brown or else it turns your EVOO bitter. 

Add shrimp and season with garlic salt & pepper, cook until shrimp turn pink approx. 5 mins.

** You can season it with the spice of your choice
Add the juice of 1 small lemon to the shrimp while it's still cooking.

Drain the pasta and in the same pot add 2 tbsp of EVOO with the remaining chopped garlic (3 or 4 cloves) let the EVOO come to a sizzle and return the drained pasta back letting the garlic/EVOO flavor your pasta. Add 1/2 lemon's juice to this and if you like a pinch of zest. After mixing this on a medium heat add pasta to the shrimp skillet, mix and let it sit for a few minutes on a medium heat.


Meanwhile, in the pot you cooked pasta in pour a tablespoon of EVOO and the sugar snap peas, saute for about 3 mins on medium heat then add them to your pasta skillet, mix and voila!



The remaining 1/2 of your lemon can be used as slices to accompany each dish for guests to add extra lemon if they prefer.

I admit I did NOT taste this. My husband did and he said it was good.... yay me!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment