spoon

Cheesy Hashbrown Chili

Category:

I found this recipe on rachelray.com and it has been a complete hit. My husband is a meat and potatoes guy and this couldn't be more perfect. I tweaked some ingredients because 1) I'm a texture person 2) the less I have to add the better. I also add my homemade red salsa to kick it up a notch because we like our food on the spicy side. (I promise to do a post soon on how to make red and green salsa)



1 lb lean ground beef
1 bag of hashbrown (or you can grate your own potatoes, I'm about simplicity but to each their own)
1 bag of grated cheese (I use the Mexican blend)
1 small onion
2 large garlic cloves
1 tbsp of all meat seasoning (Lawrys is a staple in my home, use what you have)
1 15oz can of kidney beans
Optional- 2 tbsp of red salsa, add your own at your discretion.

** The original recipe calls for tomato paste (1/4 cup) but if you don't have it, which I didn't last night, no worries. It also calls for a 15oz can of diced tomatoes but I don't like the texture so I skip that as well. Also I don't use EVOO b/c the beef, even the leanest, renders enough fat.

1. Set your oven to 425
2. In a deep set skillet cook the 1lb beef adding the onion, garlic, and meat seasoning until it browns.
3. Rinse and drain the can of beans and add it to your beef, (If you like diced tomatoes add them and your salsa) once it has warmed through (3-5mins) pour mixture into a deep dish.
4. Add a layer of cheese on top, followed by a layer of hashbrown and another layer of cheese. It should be about 1/2in thick, or as thick as you prefer. We like a lot of hashbrowns :)
5. Use a cookie sheet to place your chili on in case of over bubbling, place it in the oven for 35 mins or until the top layer is nice and golden brown.



We like to add a dollop of sour cream and can't forget the veggies, a side salad.

The finished product:

Comment (1)

I'm trying this recipe tonight....very excited! The hubs and I are big chili and potato lovers so I don't really see how this could go wrong :) Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment