spoon

Zuppa Toscana

Category: ,

A friend made this soup and posted a picture, after deciding this week all the sickies in my house would be fed soups to recoup, this one seemed perfect to add to the mix. I didn't realize she had posted her recipe up until after I searched online for one, but they all seem to be about the same. One of the best things about THIS soup is that it literally requires NO spices. And tastes incredible. I know, it sounds impossible, but believe it.

Here's what you will need:

1lb of sausage- I bought Italian SPICY ground sausage, it is on the spicier side, so if you have a sensitive  
                        palate I'd say stick to the mild.
1 32oz carton of chicken stock
1 medium onion chopped
2 cups of KALE (I bought prepackaged kale)
2 tablespoons of crushed garlic
2 or 3 large russet potatoes (chopped chunky/bite-size)
1 cup heavy cream (or whole milk, whatever is easier/you have on hand)
3-4 slices of bacon COOKED and chopped into bits.

In a large pot, brown the sausage. After it has cooked about 95% through add chopped onion and garlic, mix it in well.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, then add potatoes and cook on medium or until potatoes are tender.
Then add heavy cream, bacon, and kale and let it heat through for about 5 mins, or until kale has softened.

*I don't know that the bacon is entirely necessary, I would venture to skip it next time around, the spice of the sausage did enough to bump up the flavor. But it is bacon, and who doesn't love bacon.

That's it! :) Keep salt and pepper on hand if you think it requires it, I didn't have any need for any spices whatsoever.

I didn't take any process/ingredient images because I wasn't sure I would like it, but we LOVED it. Here's a pic of what was left :)

Comments (0)

Post a Comment