spoon

Slow Cooker Carnitas

Category:

One of my husband's absolute favorite things to eat is carnitas. For those that may have never heard of it before - carnitas is really slow cooked pork. It is typically made on some type of rotisserie and the skin is oh-so-crunchy and the meat is fall-apart-tender. It melts in your mouth. Truly delicious! Well...I'm scared of pork. I don't like cooking with it. I usually over cook it or under cook it, but it never turns out right. But, we love carnitas and I love my crock pot and I figured if I cook it for 10 hours it should be cooked all the way through! :) Anyway, I found a recipe that is very simple and it turned out incredibly good. There are a couple of spices in here that you may not have on an ordinary day in your kitchen, but I guarantee that you'll use them again just to make this recipe.

Here's what you'll need:


1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (2-4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
2 bay leaves
2 cups chicken broth


Mix together salt, garlic powder and all of the spices in a bowl.
Coat pork with the spice mixture.
Place the two bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top.
Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork,  being careful not to wash off any of the spice mixture.
Cover and cook on low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 10 hours. Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5 hours. I cooked mine a little over 10 hours and it came out perfectly. Also, my pork was completely defrosted when I put it in.
When pork is done, remove from slow cooker and shred with two forks, using cooking liquid as needed to moisten the meat.
I used mine as taco meat and served with chopped onions and cilantro. It was YUMMY! But, you could also serve it as the main dish with a side of beans and rice as well. Enjoy!!

Comments (2)

Looks yummy and easy, can't wait to try it!

oh my..love it!

Post a Comment