spoon

Warm Chicken Quinoa Salad

Category:

Quinoa is an amazing grain to add to your diet. It is VERY high in protein and is the best choice when it comes to grains you want to choose for your pantry, even over brown rice. It also doesn't leave you feeling heavy like rice or pasta does. It's a wonderful blank canvas that you can add so many things to.  A quick tip, I bought a bag at a local grocery store and it set me back close to $11. I went to Big Lots and they had the same bag for $3... so, if you find someone who says its too expensive to eat well, tell them they need to do their HW. Nothing of value comes easy... that includes taking control of your health!
With all that said :) here's an EASY and fresh salad I think is perfect for all year around. This recipe yielded approx. 4 medium sized servings. But I was using leftover chicken and made too much quinoa, so I suggest doubling everything except the quinoa.






1/2 cup of Quinoa (it doubles once cooked)
*optional- I season the water with a pinch of Chicken Bouillon

2tsp EVOO
TJ's Green Salsa
1 avocado
2 cups chopped or shredded chicken (I had 1/2 of a SMALL store roasted chicken, and used that)
1 green onion sprig
6-7sprigs of fresh cilantro chopped
1 1/2 cups (or more depending on your palate, we like to add more veggies) chopped veggies
  *I purchased a mixed bag of veggies that included purple onion, green/red peppers

OPTIONAL- I used a jalapeño for heat.. if you have a lighter palate omit it.
Also, I keep jars of Trader Joe's green Salsa on hand, it is incredibly fresh and a good way to add a lot of flavor in a cost effective way. I HIGHLY suggest keeping a bottle on hand. You can always use what you need and freeze small amounts in baggies/tupperware if you aren't a salsa family. This one is fairly mild in flavor.
Salt/Pepper to taste

Cooking Quinoa is fairly simple. The bag usually gives you cooking directions but if you happen to buy it in larger quantity at markets who sell it by the barrel... it's a 2:1 ratio.
So, boil 1 CUP of water (add bouillon if you have it, if not no biggie), add 1/2 cup quinoa cover it with a lid and leave it to simmer for 12 mins. DO NOT OPEN IT! Until 12 mins are up...
After 12 minutes, I realized I needed to let it sit for a few minutes b/c I added a little too much water.


Meanwhile add EVOO in a large saucepan and chopped veggies, cilantro, jalapeño, generous pinch of salt/pepper and sauté until onion starts to look translucent, about 5 min on medium heat. Add chicken and heat through for about 2 mins. Add 1/2 cup of TJ's green salsa, and stir.

Ready to saute 
Quinoa should be cooked, use a spoon/fork to fluff up and pour it into a large bowl. Add chicken-veggie mixture and mix through. CAUTION do NOT over mix it, or it will look like mush, it will taste fine but no one wants to look at mush right?!
Taste it, if it needs salt or pepper add it a pinch at a time. And continue to taste until it reaches your liking. I like to add more fresh cilantro ( I'm obsessed w/ cilantro) and a bit more TJ's salsa. If you feel it needs a bit of EVOO to soften it up, that works too, just watch your hand.
Salad ready to eat! All it needs is avocado :)

Serve salad with slices of avocado and voila!

To bump up the health factor I serve this with a spinach salad.. I have previously made this salad with zucchini, carrots... different veggies. You really can't go wrong- any veggie you choose... with the exception of asparagus.





Comments (0)

Post a Comment